The Miller Family

Mom, Dad, Chris, Tim & Amie

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday July 18th, Fallen Heroes Memorial Ride

Janet riding her own bike on the Jerry Tharp Fallen Heroes Memorial Ride.
.
The ride visited 6 area soldiers that lost their lives.


The bike on the left is Darwin (grey sweatshirt) & Kylee (pink sweatshirt)





This is the road going into Keithsburg (see end of blog for a reference to this road).




At each of the grave sites, they had doves that were released by family members





Galesburg cemetary for Kyle's stop.









This was the first ride that Janet drove a bike in. At almost the end she had a little fender bender between herself and the pavement. She got a good bruise - but was mostly not hurt - but sore!

Darwin called me and asked me to the truck and trailer to Keithsburg, so the bike could be trailered back home & Janet could either ride in the truck, or with someone else. No problem - the truck and trailer were already ready. Just got Amie up from her nap & headed that way.......after all I had Garmin - right?!

Well that road at the top of this blog that leads into Keithsburg...I missed the turn onto it! So, Garmin did it's "re-calculating thing!" - it had me turn right at the next road....So I did!

The road went for a half a mile or so, then I came over a hill & the road turned to gravel....ok that's alright.....then I made a 90 degree turn left on this gravel road to find that the road was COMPLETELY covered with flood water!

So.......after trying unsuccessfully to back up (and not jack-knife the trailer) - I disconnected the trailer, turned the truck around, reconnected the trailer & got back on the main road....

The only other problem was that the cellular signals were almost non-existent! Darwin could only hear a little bit of what I was saying - he caught, "incident" and that was about it! And couldn't get ahold of me after that! Needless to say he was a little worried by the time Amie and I made it to Keithsburg!

No comments: