The last few weeks have left us wondering where Tim's future is. We are at a point where we believe that his growth at home has finished. He is completely content and comfortable to waste away his days on his x-box. He no longer seems to be interested in riding the bus anywhere. He rarely does anything other then go to work two mornings a week.
.
With school a thing of the past, his only real friend (who just graduated) comes over a couple of times a year and vise versa - and they play x-box online.
.
We think it's time for a change. If Tim is ever going to do more then he does right now - he's going to have to be pushed out of his comfort zone a bit.
.
We are investigating the possibility of a group home. We'd like to make this the right decision - not a rushed one. We want him to find a place where he can have some "Tim time" - but also have group activities and get togethers with peers his level.
.
Unfortunately - I haven't been super impressed with the "help" this town has to offer. The center for independent living didn't return my call for three days & then "could work me in some time the next week" - but never got back to me with information they were supposed to be obtaining.
.
The organization that works on placements was supposed to call me this week when she got back to town - and hasn't. So - I guess that means I need to make another round of calls.
.
After a pretty bad melt down on Mother's Day - we did have a pretty good heart to heart with Tim the following Wednesday & I think he also believes it's time for a change.
.
I am sad - but also relieved. I had hoped that we could get him further along in his independence then where he is. But I also want him to be taken care of appropriately - especially since in all likelyhood he will outlive us - so those future realizations are a part of our planning as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment