The Miller Family

Mom, Dad, Chris, Tim & Amie

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Trying on a new hat!




I decided my days and nights weren't busy enough this semester & tried on a new "hat"! In August I started teaching a course at the community college here in Galesburg. My course is officially: "RDT 215, Special Procedures". It is a kind of mish-mash of all the different "speciality" stuff that is important for x-ray techs, but not covered in other courses. These are second year students, that have this semester & one more before graduation.

The course covers, surgical asepsis, infection control, pharmacology, drug administration, venous puncture, arthrography, angiography, myelography, CT scans, Nuclear Medicine scans, MRI exams, Ultrasound, specialty joints (AC, SC, SI, TMJ), bone density, hystrosalpingography & sialography.

I have a great group of students. They range from fresh out of high school to about my age! They have a good sense of humor & are a very close group. I told them they were stuck with me learning a lot of it right along with them (such as pharmacology!!!)

As much as I've enjoyed it, I probably won't do it again. It has been a lot of work -- even though there was a template, because like I said, much of it I had to learn first!! So, I'm reading the chapter 3-4 times just to be able to lecture & then read it another 1-2 times to come up with questions for the tests.

It was something I had always wanted to do. I can now check it off of my list of "been there, done that"!

1 comment:

Marie Stork said...

I would LOVE to have you for a teacher!! Marie